Monday, November 10, 2014

Sunday, Sunday…

I woke up at 5:30 a.m. on Sunday. I got a cup of coffee and waited for the 6:00 a.m. news to come on. I ran through the normal Sunday morning chores, ran the dishwasher and started a load of weekend wash. Then I tried on each pair of pants and took off the tags. I put my old pants into a bag to take to the Goodwill.

I finalized the wood list needed for the computer table, but I had to wait until 10:00 a.m. when Costco opened. So, I got cleaned up and dressed, then I swept the kitchen floor. I put the chairs in the living room and pushed the table against the hutch and wall. I washed the bathroom and kitchen floors backwards until I got to the downstairs step. Then I left for shopping.

I got more coffee and peanuts of the squirrels at Costco. Then I went to Home Depot. I took the usual long, long time picking out straight boards with tight knots.

Back home, I piled all the wood in the kitchen. I don’t want it to get messed up in the garage.

I had to wait (again) until the Post Office opened at noon, so I got a winter coat on and cut the front lawn (or should I say the front leaves?) I trimmed the rose bushes and put the Styrofoam cones on them.

Then I hung up my new pants and went to the Post Office. Back home, I treated Caley after I turned on the air compressor.

I saw that my friend B___ had called, so I called him back. He had nothing, just trying to prepare for winter as I was.

Note to James and Carlos: I did ask him about Linda Phelps. He remembered the name, but couldn’t put a face (or figure) to it. You are dealing with old guys, here. We can’t remember what the hell the fuss was about her!

I went out back and got the tractor out of the shed. Then I got out the wagon. I took it over to the hose box and, after unhooking it, I loaded the box on the wagon.

I pulled it to the front, stuck the air nozzle into the hose and blew out the water. Then I dragged it back to the shed and stowed it away for the winter.

Then I used the mower to cut the leaves out back. Since I had already forgotten to take before and after pictures of the front yard, I took some of the back yard.

BTW, it was cold enough (might have been the wind chill, which was brutal) that I not only wore my winter coat, but added a knit cap to my head.

I was going to drain and cover the reflecting pool next, but I ran out of daylight. So, I buttoned everything up, came inside and had a cup of coffee to warm up.

I took a break for a bit until it was time to make my dinner.

Background: A few years back, my friend Michelle from Facilities took me to a Polish-American restaurant called Steve’s Family Dining. Both she and her husband love it (he’s Polish). I had a combination plate which was excellent and, at Michelle’s urging, tried the dill pickle soup. Sounded awful but it tasted great! So, when I came across a recipe for it, I wanted to try it.

So, I did the prep work first. I peeled and cubed 1 3/4 pounds of russet potatoes. I peeled and diced two cups of carrots (small dice). Finally I chopped up one cup of dill pickles (small dice).

In my Dutch oven, I put in 5 1/2 cups of chicken stock, the potatoes and the carrots. I added one stick (1/2 cup) of unsalted butter. I brought that to a boil, tuned the heat down and cooked it until the potatoes were fork tender. I added the pickles and continued to simmer.

I mixed one cup of A/P flour to one cup of sour cream and 1/4 cup of water making a paste. I vigorously whisked the sour cream paste (two tablespoons at a time) into the soup.

Note: This will break up some of the potatoes, which is okay. You also may see some balls of flour form, but that’s okay, too. With the whisking and the heat, they will disappear – don’t panic.

I added two cups of pickle juice, some black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.

That’s when the whole thing fell apart! I couldn’t find my Old Bay Seasoning! Anywhere! It must have been one of those spices past the expiration date and I pitched it.

Well, I turned the heat off. I’ll have to get some Old Bay and finish it tomorrow.

But, to complete the recipe, you would add 1 1/2 teaspoons of Old Bay Seasoning and then taste it. You would add salt (or not) as needed. The reason is that pickle juice varies wildly in its salt content. So taste it first and be careful!

I warmed up some spaghetti in the microwave, topped it with Parmesan cheese and ate that for dinner instead.

I read in the living room for a bit, but went to bed early. I was beat!


  1. The soup sounds interesting. Can't wait for you to finish it and tell me what you think!

  2. Read Monday's Blog. Delicious but difficult to incorporate the flour/sour cream mixture.